June 10th, 11th, & 12th
Josh took me on quite an adventure this weekend. I knew we were going on a camping trip to the Sawtooths, but when we got there it was nothing like I expected.
There was snow... and lots of it!
I knew we were headed towards snow because Josh helped me pack. I was told to bring my ski hat, snow shoes, snow pants, and plenty of other warm layers, however I still was not expecting the amount of snow that we encountered on this expedition.
Friday night we drove to Stanley, Idaho and stayed at Iron Creek Campground.
This was our view in the morning.
Saturday morning we woke up and Josh had me unpack my backpack so that we could re-pack it the proper way.
I never knew it, but there is quite an art to packing your backpack correctly for such outings.
I was only allowed to bring the absolute essentials.
No lip gloss. No hair brush. No deodorant.
I feel like going without these particular "essentials" were more of a punishment
for Josh anyway so I didn't complain... too much :)
After hiking for several hours that day, I was very glad Josh helped me keep my backpack as light as possible :)
Taking a break on the way to Sawtooth Lake, which was our destination for Day 1.
Snowy, but very sunny and warm.
Especially when you are hiking :)
Time to set up our tent.
We had to stamp out the snow so that it was flat.
Josh asked me to roll on the tarp, making sure to keep me arms and legs up,
so that I didn't cause any holes or divots in our sleeping area.
I thought he was joking.
He was not.
So, I rolled on the tarp.
Sorry- no picture of that :)
Our tent home :)
It looks so small next to that mountain.
Cold and foggy.
This is how we lived in our tent.
Our socks and boots were completely soaked from the hike in, so Josh fashioned this handy clothes line inside the tent.
I have to say, that Josh pretty much thought of anything and everything that we could have possibly needed, which was incredible to me since we carried everything in on our backs.
A good reminder that life can be simple... should be simple.
This little stove is delightful.
We enjoyed tea, coffee, and soup all because of this guy.
Don't worry!
Josh made sure to pack the Titanium Sporks.
*Over the last couple of months Josh has slowly been collecting items for me so that I can join him on some of his camping adventures. I remember one day he texted me that he bought me a Titanium Spork. I don't know why this cracked me up so much.... I guess because I never knew that I needed a Titanium Spork.
What did I used to get excited about before Josh?
It's a mystery to me now :)
The Knife.
Another thing that cracks me up.
I know not to bug Josh too much when that thing is around.
I feel like it's so big it definitely needs its own name.
(My cousin, Jackson, will love this knife)
Sunday Morning.
Getting ready to climb to the top of Alpine Peak.
Putting my feet back into my cold, wet boots was definitely the least pleasant part of the trip.
I truly thought for a little bit that I was going to get frostbite on my toes.
About twenty minutes into the hike though, my toes warmed back up and I put a smile back on my face :)
I had the easy job of following.
Almost there.
We made it.
Alpine Peak
Elevation: 9,861 feet
The sun finally popped out on our way down just in time for us to see this incredible view :)
Packed up and headed back.
Last break before the final trek back to the car.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Josh asked me when we got back to the car what my favorite part of the trip was.
I couldn't figure out just one thing.
There were a lot of "firsts" for me on this trip.
The first time camping in the middle of nowhere.... in the snow.
My first summit.
My first time using my new, real, hiking backpack.
My first time having to hike with wet boots, wet socks, and wet, cold feet and knowing that it is normal and okay and I am not going to die or get frostbite.
My first time hearing and seeing an actual, live avalanche.
(Don't worry mom- it was on the other ridge far, far, far away from us) :)
I loved all of it though.
I loved being that far away from anyone else and remembering that there is so much more to life than our everyday, normal routines.
I loved feeling humbled by the silence and beauty of that kind of space.
And I loved spending it with someone who thrives in that environment.
Someone who is a reminder to me everyday that life is precious and short,
and that we need to live each day with a thankful, sincere, and giving heart.
wowzer, you truly are a sport! the cold feet I can totally relate to, and it would have been next to impossible if there was another option to not put those cold socks on... oh I am shivering just thinking about it!
ReplyDeletehow cool though, kudos to Josh - impressive trip!